Sunday, March 10, 2013

8th International Hash Challenge 42km by PH3

What you did last week Saturday?

I've complete my 1st International Hash Challenge with 42km distance!

The story started when a stupid fellow registered for this event with early bird registration fee RM150(non transferable) at the end of October 2012. Then the training started at Nov 2012, after few hikes to Gunung Nuang and 2 hikes to Gunung Kutu,
I went for a pre-run at Penang Rainforest Hash Challenge which is around 28km. I've survived and back in town (KL). After the R&R(Rest and Recovery) period it's the CNY, giving me very good excuse to be lazy. 

The actual training starts when it comes to the mid of Feb 2013. Went for few hikes with 10kg+ loads, ran 10km through Seremban town at the afternoon with the sun above my head for 2 times and 3 Gunung Nuang highway trips in a day. A total of 80km training was done before the run.
Let's fast forward this to the starting point at Sungai Gabai.
Never forget to fill in my stomach before the run! Nasi Lemak!!!
Everyone start running/jogging/walking when the horn was heard. After a 800m run, it comes to a stream, all the hashers(runners) refuse to get their feet wet at the early phase of the run so everyone is looking for a better way to cross the stream. Soon there is a jamming session at the stream and a guy which found his way (shortcut) then rushed into a deep mud. After the stream, the hike starts. 80m hike there comes the 1st check, everyone seems like refuse to go for the check to save energy for the 40km later. Then my teammate and I started to move higher and start checking.
Action: Checking
Reaction: Broke 1st check!

The nice running path 10km starts after 200m from the check. 10km later we reach the dam and there is a valley to be cross,
The valley
I've decided to skip this valley and find a slightly longer but energy saving path the road to the right to reach to the peak of the other side of the valley.
The path I chosen! Shortcuted the valley!
The downhill starts and we ran towards the 1st water stop which is at the Nuang's carpark. Refilled some water, consumed power gel, ORS. Forgotten to mention about my teammates Eric, Yip and Alvin. After the 1st water stop replenishment we start running to the 2nd sector.

2nd sector was a little hike then we reached the Nuang's highway, this is familiar to me because I've trained 3 trips there and I start running down the highway. It was a long journey until we came into a fruit plantation and some Asli huts.
So there ends the 2nd sector and reaching the 2nd water stop. There comes Mr Rambo bringing us our nasi lemak, it was pre-ordered before the run. LOL!!! After the rest and makan session we are back in action!

3rd sector was predicted to be my killing sector because I cannot stand on the HEAT of the sun. So I've been moving slow and keeping my hydrated! But after don't know how many kms under the sun. The cooling system of my engine was shutdown and the tough part comes in! Walking like a dead man for around 5km until I reached the river which allows me to cool down my overheated engine. I stopped at the river for around 10mins to wash my Tshirt and cool down by body. 1 of the hasher recorded the highest temperature was 40 degree Celsius during the 3rd sector. Or to say it is really desert like temperature and the humidity that cause most of the give ups in hashing events. (No sector 3 photos, I believe photographer and the hashers already give up taking photo)

After the rest, Yip and I start proceeding to the 3rd and the last water stop, while Eric is ahead of us and Alvin was behind.
Soon we have reach the water stop. Team hydro (Pang, Lilian) was there too waiting for their members (Khoo, Looi) before they are allow to move forward. First thing when I reach the water stop I went to the nearest river bank to wash my shoe and socks.
There are already blisters on my heels, but it won't stop me completing this maniac run after I've complete 32km and another 10km is ahead of me! Never forget the hashers which did not take part in this event also came to stimulate us.
Photo was taken while we still able to smile.

4th sector starts!!!!
It was predicted to rain at this section, but it was not! This is a typical Rambo style of hill and we know it's a tough one. So we are going step by step and doing it real slow cause we are now moving as a team! 
*there are some wildlife prints on the ground when they laying paper the day before. 
We took photos throughout sector 4.

Meeting up with team hydro (Sio, Khoo, Alvin, Looi, Eric, Yip - from left to right)
After 12 hours, 42km completed! Seeing tarmac road means that we are back to civilization!
The blue team (007) and the team manager behind! 



A credit for the committee for this International Hash Challenge! After the run I heard from a uncle "This is the easiest hash challenge out of 7 he has participated" I was like "OMG, next hash challenge I'm running or not?!" Great job for the participants! List of participants

The next day, we went for the celebration and the beer drinking session and the brunch provided. 
Back row - Eric, Nini, Sio, Yip
Front row - Pang, Jagjit Singh, Lilian 
Got our finisher T, a medal and the terrain of the run as a certificate. Good job for team blue!


After event! Some bets are being placed before the run and the winners got their winning from CK.


All the chinaman was being charged by Nini, betting her cannot finish the run! Actually there is only one people betting but the whole chinaman's boat was flipped by Nini! BTW good job Nini!

The upcoming events for me will be

  1. Mount Kinabalu day trip
  2. TMBT 100km (I hope)
I've achieve something great this year! 

No comments: